08 Sep Cognitive Approaches to Trauma and Addiction
This breakthrough webinar led by internationally recognized CBT expert Dr Jeff Riggenbach, who trained at the Beck Institute of Cognitive Therapy, will enhance your treatment approach, advance your clinical skills, and arm you with proven tools and techniques that you can implement with your clients the very next day in your practice.
The relationship between trauma and addiction is well established in the literature. This is no surprise, as practitioners know all too well that people with unresolved trauma and emotional wounds often turn to substances as a way to self-medicate. People with addictions may
- Drive while under influence
- Gravitate towards toxic relationships
- Have difficulties in their employment
- Go to dangerous places to get their substance of choice
- Engage in many other behaviours that increase their risk of being traumatized.
The good news is, there is hope! Evidence shows increasing incidence of recovery for people struggling in the areas of trauma and addiction.
While neuroscience has taught us much about this phenomenon in recent years, evidence-based CBT treatments which to this day appear to still be at least as effective as many “newer” approaches, seem to have almost got lost in the shuffle. By attending this training you will not only refresh your current knowledge of CBT but you will also learn what’s new.
Even if you do not work in the area of trauma and addictions, you should ground yourself in foundational clinical concepts for effectively treating clients with trauma who resort to substance misuse and hence develop addictions. It is a vast majority of our clients; many are at risk or are already trying to ease the pain of trauma with substance. So let’s make sure that we are equipped with the tools to help them in the process of recovering from or preventing addictions, and healing trauma.
Access this online workshop (8 learning hours) and become a more trauma-informed professional with a practical, evidence-based approach that will equip your clients struggling with trauma and addiction to reclaim their lives and be well on the road to recovery.
The Relationship Between Trauma and Addiction
- The neurobiology of Trauma and addiction
- The role of defectiveness schemas and and shame
- Reciprocal nature of the relationship
A Cognitive Approach
- Early Maladaptive Schemas and their Association with Trauma and Addiction
- Behavioural Pattern Breaking
- Exposure Based Work
CBT for Addictive Behaviour Disorders
- Addiction conceptualization
- Enhancing Motivation
- Identifying Functions of Usage
- Complex Chain Analysis
- Challenging motivations and Development of Alternative Coping Skills
- Cue cards and coping cards
- Addict Letters
- Managing Urges
Psychoeducation and Skills Training
- Standard CBT Skills
- Emotion Regulation Skills
- Distress Tolerance Skills
- Interpersonal effectiveness skills
Cognitive – Behavioural Chain Analysis
- Breaking destructive behavioural cycles
- Cognitive cue cards
Trauma and PTSD
- 3 Stages of Treatment
- Psychoeducation and obtaining Informed Consent
- Grounding Exercises, Soothing Strategies, and Distraction Techniques
- Trauma Narrative Work • Nightmare Rescripting and Imagery Rehearsal Therapy
- Restructuring Cognitions Related to Guilt and Shame
- Addressing Moral Injury
- Silver Lining Technique, Resilience Amplification, and other Post-Traumatic Growth
Jeff Riggenbach, Ph.D., LPC, is one of the most sought-after educators in North America in the area of CBT, personality disorders and addictions. Over the past 20 years he has developed and overseen CBT based Mood Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder treatment programs at two different psychiatric hospitals serving over 3,000 clients at multiple levels of care. Dr Riggenbach trained at the Beck Institute of Cognitive Therapy and Research in Philadelphia, is a Diplomat of the Academy of Cognitive Therapy, and has presented in all 50 United States, Mexico, Australia and Canada on topics related to CBT, DBT and Personality Dysfunction.
Dr Riggenbach has authored three best-selling books, Borderline Personality Disorder Toolbox: A Practical Evidence-Based Guide to Regulating Intense Emotions (2016), which was Amazon’s #1 new release in its category,
The Personality Disorder Toolbox: The Challenge of the Hidden Agenda, and his most recent The CBT Toolbox, Second Edition: 185 Tools to Manage Anxiety, Depression, Anger, Behaviors & Stress (2021)
Jeff is known for bridging the gap between academia, research findings and day-to-day clinical practice, and his seminars on DBT, CBT, and Schema-Focused Cognitive Therapy receive the highest evaluations in terms of clinical utility as well as entertainment value.
This online workshop will give you instant access to 3 sessions of video content, accessible via streaming on our website, as well as downloadable PowerPoint slides (PDF).
You can view the course content in your own time. Please note that access will expire 12 months after purchasing the course.
The duration of this workshop is 8 learning hours. A certificate of completion will be generated upon finishing the course and completing a short multiple-choice assessment test. Please consult your professional organisation/association to confirm whether you are able to claim any CPD points/hours for this online workshop.
Purchase this product and also receive a free course: Dr Jeff Riggenbach’s 21 Day Resilience Challenge.
What you’ll get:
• 21 Brief Teachings to Guide Your Skill development
• Proven Skills for Resilience
• Accountability to Develop Discipline
Upon purchase you will receive a link to access the bonus course. An additional sign-up on Dr Riggenbach’s website is required.