21 Oct EMDR Skills for Trauma: Rapid, Safe, and Proven Skills and Techniques for Your Trauma Treatment Toolbox
EMDR is a set of evidence-based, powerful treatment tools for trauma and PTSD, as well as other mental health conditions. While EMDR skills have been popular for many years, training in these skills can be difficult to find, and is often cost-prohibitive. This affordable 2-day course introduces attendees to the original 8-phase model of EMDR and teaches participants how to conduct each of the eight phases.
Attendees will leave this experiential course with an improved understanding of not only what EMDR is and aims to accomplish, but how to conduct the eight phases with appropriate clients.
Electronic, step-by-step, detailed handouts/instructions for each phase of EMDR will also be included in your registration!
This course is not affiliated with any organization other than Mind Works Professional Education, Inc., and does not qualify towards EMDR “certification” with any certification entity. EMDR “certification” is provided by various entities across the US and abroad, but is not required for the competent and safe practice of EMDR skills. However, in-depth training and consultation in this modality is recommended, as it would be for any other modality (CBT, DBT, etc.).
- Establish the role of the autonomic nervous system in trauma symptomology.
- Characterize the potential neurobiological mechanisms of change in the empirically validated EMDR approach.
- Specify how EMDR techniques can build dual awareness in clients to treat the avoidance that makes trauma and anxiety treatment challenging.
- Communicate the 8 Phases of the EMDR protocol.
- Determine which clients you should use EMDR with.
- Communicate the central principle of the Adaptive Information Processing Theory and establish how it informs the EMDR approach.
- Analyze resourcing strategies from EMDR that clinicians can use to help facilitate the processing of trauma.
- Specify the steps clinicians must take to emphasize safety during EMDR sessions.
- Characterize how EMDR techniques can be used to reinforce and activate positive neural networks.
- Evaluate strategies that can help foster the critical connection between client and therapist in EMDR therapy.
- Establish the order of operations for attachment-based EMDR treatment to resolve relational trauma.
Dr. Jennifer Sweeton is a licensed clinical psychologist, best-selling author, and internationally-recognized expert on anxiety and trauma, and the neuroscience of mental health. She completed her doctoral training at the Stanford University School of Medicine, the Pacific Graduate School of Psychology (now Palo Alto University), and the National Center for PTSD. Additionally, she holds a master’s degree in affective neuroscience from Stanford University, and studied behavioral genetics at Harvard University.
Dr. Sweeton resides in the greater Kansas City area, where she owns a group private practice, Kansas City Mental Health Associates(trade name for Mind Works Consulting and Psychological Services, PLLC). She formerly served as the President of the Oklahoma Psychological Association, and holds adjunct faculty appointments at the University of Kansas School of Medicine and the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. She is the current President of the Greater Kansas City Psychological Association. Dr. Sweeton offers psychological services services to clients in Oklahoma, Kansas, and internationally, and is a sought-after trauma and neuroscience expert who has trained more than 10,000 mental health professionals in her workshops.
This online workshop will give you instant access to 8.5 hours of video content, accessible via streaming on our website, as well as downloads for PowerPoint slides and supplemental materials. You can view the course content in your own time and re-watch as many times as you like.
A certificate of completion will be generated upon finishing the course and completing a short evaluation quiz. Please consult your professional organisation/association to confirm whether you are able to claim any CPD points/hours for this online workshop.