20 Sep Personality Disorders Update: DSM 5 And Today’s Most Powerful Treatment And Management Techniques
Despite having familiarity with some specific aspects or models of understanding or treating personality disorders, most professionals find personality disorders to be the most confusing, frustrating, and difficult of all mental health conditions. Fortunately, there have been recent advances in our understanding of personality disorders that offer professionals new, powerful, and highly effective methods for treating and managing these conditions in nearly any mental health, health care, or social service setting.
This unique training teaches cutting-edge methods for diagnosing, treating, and managing clients with personality disorders. Drawn on fifteen years of development and from the world’s largest-attended seminar on personality disorders which synthesized the model of understanding personality disorders that has recently been adopted by the DSM 5, in this training professionals will learn the elements common to all personality disorders and the cutting-edge methods that have been found to work to treat and manage them.
This workshop focuses on teaching the practical methods that have been found to work successfully with these clients, including methods to repair disordered personality, diminish unproductive behaviours, enhance productive behaviours, and generate appropriate and adaptable behaviours. These methods can be applied across a wide variety of mental health and social service settings, and can significantly improve professionals’ ability to deal effectively with this difficult clientele.
- To understand the unique, underlying elements common to all personality disorders and what makes them different from all other mental health conditions
- To understand and to be able to apply the DSM 5 changes in the structure for distinguishing and diagnosing personality disorders
- To learn the four definitions of disordered functioning that underlies all successful interventions
- To learn the common principles underlying all effective interventions for personality disorders, including Dialectical Behavioural Therapy, Transference Focused Psychotherapy, Schema, and Mentalisation-Based Treatment
- To learn techniques designed to treat a disordered personality
- To learn techniques designed to manage disordered behaviour in a variety of settings
- To learn how to maintain one’s composure and emotional equilibrium when dealing with disordered functioning
- To be able to avoid the common pitfalls that professionals are vulnerable to when dealing with a personality disordered population
Gregory Lester, Ph.D., is a clinical psychologist in practice in Colorado and Texas. He has specialised in Personality Disorders for over 25 years, and has been a participant in multiple studies that form the basis for the DSM V revision of the section on Personality Disorders. Dr. Lester is considered the most in-demand trainer on the topic of Personality Disorders, and has trained more professionals on the topic than any other individual. He has presented over 2,000 trainings on Personality Disorders, with more than 100,000 professionals in over 130 cities attending. Dr. Lester has served on the graduate faculty of The University of St. Thomas, and is a member of the American Psychological Association, the Texas Psychological Association, the Colorado Psychological Association, and the Houston Psychological Association.
He is the author of seven books, including the most widely read front-line clinical manual “Personality Disorders: Personality Disorders in Social Work, Mental Health, and Health Care”.
This online workshop will give you instant access to 5.5 hours of video content, accessible via streaming on our website. You can view the course content in your own time and re-watch as many times as you like. Note that access will expire 12 months after purchase.
A certificate of completion will be generated upon finishing the course and completing a short evaluation quiz. Please consult your professional organisation/association to confirm whether you are able to claim any CPD points/hours for this online workshop.