05 Jul Understanding Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is an ever-growing field of study. Important updates because of the latest research requires a change in the tools for the management of symptoms that professionals use. This comprehensive course will review the evidence and breakthroughs provided by research as well as undoing past misconceptions and errors in past research.
Areas of focus for the course will include the neurological impacts of ADHD, including development into adulthood. Practice on using behaviour charts as well as reviewing the complications that can arise will be completed. Identifying common problems with misdiagnosis as well as issues related to co-morbidity will be completed through the use of case vignettes. Steps for treatment/symptom management will be broken down into obtainable steps with time to discuss complications and considerations of using accommodations in school settings.
This course will complete an overview of the most common questions caregivers and educators have about ADHD to provide the learners with prepared responses to the questions in digestible and simple terms. The seminar was recorded via Zoom as a collaborative process including questions and discussions, it will feel like you are really at the workshop.
Workshop participants can expect to:
- Review research on the impacts of ADHD throughout childhood and into adulthood.
- Develop skills to be able to engage in psychoeducation with families and teachers.
- Explore common secondary impacts of ADHD and their impacts on functioning.
- Learner will be able to identify and address at least one of the common misconceptions of ADHD
- Learner will be able to identify the importance of standardization of ADHD criteria
- Learner will be able to identify at least five diagnostic criteria and one common impact of symptoms
- Learner will be able to identify steps to differentiate attentional or hyperactive problems due to other disorders or due to ADHD
- Learner will be able to identify one reason for the use of a clinical scale and the steps for diagnosis of ADHD
- Learner will be able to give psychoeducation to others about the impacts of ADHD within the brain
- Learner will be able to use behaviour charts in the management of ADHD symptoms effectively and list the six steps for treatment management
- Learner will be able to identify some of the known contributors to the symptoms of ADHD as well as be able to identify how to manage complexities of ADHD symptom management
Leo DeBroeck is a Mental Health Practitioner and Child Mental Health Specialist in Washington State (USA). He is CBT Plus certified through the University of Washington and Harborview Sexual Assault and Traumatic Stress Centre. He has completed his Masters of Science in Clinical Psychology at Eastern Washington University with his thesis on factors in suicide. He has experience working with children and adolescents at an intensive inpatient program in Spokane, Washington for several years.
Leo works full-time at a community health centre as a therapist with a team of Marriage and Family Therapists, Clinical Social Workers, Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioners, and Psychologists. He has worked in several different levels of care for mental health treatment including long-term inpatient care, WISE wraparound intensive services, school-based therapy services, and outpatient clinical settings. He also works as a quarterly faculty lecturer for Eastern Washington University’s satellite campus at Bellevue College. He teaches night classes to graduate and undergraduates in foundations of psychotherapy, trauma: assessment, management, and treatment, cognitive and behaviour change, and others. He has published peer-reviewed scientific research on young adults related to suicidality.
He has written several children’s therapy books, which are published on Amazon, for use in therapy settings addressing grief, addiction, neglect, abuse, and others. He is the president and founder of Counsellor’s Choice Award, LLC which reviews and promotes scientifically validated therapeutic tools and books.
This online workshop will give you instant access to 4 sessions of video content (total 8 hours), accessible via streaming on our website, as well as extensive supporting material, including PowerPoint slides, additional handouts and assessment tools you can use in your practice. You can view the course content in your own time, there is no time limit on access.
The duration of this workshop is 8 learning hours.
A certificate of completion will be generated upon finishing the course and completing a short evaluation quiz. Please consult your professional organisation/association to confirm whether you are able to claim any CPD points/hours for this online workshop.