04 Nov Unshakable: Inner Tools for Self-Regulation
With training, the mind can be restful and calm even in the most difficult and upsetting circumstances. We can control our emotions, not repress or suppress them, and despite of the circumstances we can continue to be in the driver’s seat and stay there even in crisis. This course will look at the science and strategies for fostering emotional regulation, inner peace and lasting mental stability.
Join Drs Carol Kershaw and Bill Wade and learn how you can access a deep sense of wisdom and clarity rather than flip into fight, flight, freeze or faint reaction. See how they teach you to practice “deliberate calm” at all times, and how you too can become as in control of your emotions as Captain “Sully” was when he miraculously landed his plane on the river Hudson saving 155 lives by being cool and calm in a crisis. And no, they will not want you to practice meditation. They will introduce you to a number of short and fast techniques that, if practiced regularly, will get you, or your client, to the point of inner stillness.
Watch this recording and upgrade your current knowledge in psychology of emotional regulation – what it means, how we can cultivate it, and what methods we can choose to implement emotional management in real life. Learn for yourself and teach your clients how reducing overarousal and creating more stability can improve your well-being, decision making and overall life success.
When we are threatened by the circumstances, in what seems like unending stress, we tend to go into the state of negative rumination, depression, and anxiety often accompanied by body ailments and pain. Fearful emotional reactivity makes it difficult to think clearly. Engaging in futile or repetitive behaviours, or substance addiction to stop the internal runaway train can be replaced by effective and science-based techniques that will allow your client to stay in charge and never leave the driver’s seat. This course will assist you and your clients to uncover the amazing abilities that are brain-based and innate. Clients will quickly learn that they can overcome the worst experiences that left them reeling and wanting to pull the covers over their head.
Drs Kershaw and Wade, will teach you how you can help your clients to:
- Use their brain power for self-regulation.
- Activate brainwaves that are helpful in triggering positive mental states.
- Become inoculated against negative influences so that when someone says something or does something that usually triggers negative emotions, they will remain neutral.
- Create heart-mind coherence for clarity of mind.
- De-condition negative patterns and condition the new ones.
- Use the subconscious mind to act like an ally.
- Use holographic thinking through advanced visualization.
- Manage sympathetic overdrive by a skilled use of breath.
- Activate the vagal system for self-regulation.
- And much more…!
Scientific research on the human brain’s connection to our mental and physical well-being continues to astound. While dazzling pictures and scientific lingo certainly impress, mental health clinicians are faced with a pressing problem. How do I connect the power of neuroscience to my everyday work with clients facing stress, anxiety, emotional dysregulation, trauma, chronic pain, and other issues?
This course will show you how to fundamentally transform your practice by linking complicated science, including findings in quantum physics, to practical and accessible clinical techniques you can use every day!
Key benefits of watching:
- Utilizing the inner abilities to respond to life challenges from a grounded and stable core.
- Becoming stronger than your circumstances.
- Developing inner stillness in chaotic environment and practicing the “response ability” rather than “reactivity”.
- Neuroscientific explanations that change the way clients feel about themselves
- Ability to motivate them to engage in the deeper work that needs to be done.
- Regulating emotions with techniques informed by a neuro-biological understanding of how they are recreated.
- Controlling impulsivity and improving attention with techniques that act on the brain’s executive control function.
These science-based exercises will not only enhance your ability to understand and regulate your emotions but will also give you the tools to foster the emotional intelligence of your clients, students or employees. This course will be beneficial to both yourself and your clients.
- Specify how to use state dependent memory and learning in therapy.
- Explain the process of self-regulation and its importance in well-being.
- Describe several research-based strategies for activating self-regulation.
- Identify the client’s resources for change.
- Identify state shifts in clients’ move toward self-regulation
- Create transformative emotional shifts in the client’s day to day life
Carol Kershaw, Ph.D. is Co-Director of the Milton H. Erickson Institute of Houston. She is an international trainer, author and psychotherapist running her private practice in Houston, Texas, USA. She is a member of the American Psychological Association, and an Approved Consultant for the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis.
She is board certified with the status of Fellow in EEG Biofeedback and the author of The Couple’s Hypnotic Dance and co-author of Brain Change Therapy: Clinical Interventions for Self- Transformation published by WW Norton and The Worry-Free Mind published by Career Press. She has been invited to speak for NASA, and she also presented in Saudi Arabia, Chile, Mexico, Spain, Canada, Italy as well as in the United States and in Australia
Dr Bill Wade is Co-Director of the Milton H. Erickson Institute of Houston, and is accredited as both a marriage and family therapist and professional counsellor, holding supervisory status with both capacities.
He is a Clinical Fellow with the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy and is a member and Approved Consultant with the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis. Dr Wade is co-author of Brain Change Therapy: Clinical Interventions for Self-Transformation, published by WW Norton and The Worry-Free Mind, published by Career Press.
He is a long-time student of meditation and has taught at several Buddhist temples. He has presented workshops in Spain, Italy, and across the United States. He has been utilizing psychotherapy and clinical hypnosis for over 35 years.
This online workshop will give you instant access to 5 hours of video content, accessible via streaming on our website, as well as downloads for supplemental materials. You can view the course content in your own time. Note that access will expire 90 days after purchase, if you require extended access please contact our office for assistance.
A certificate of completion will be generated upon finishing the course and completing a short evaluation quiz. Please consult your professional organisation/association to confirm whether you are able to claim any CPD points/hours for this online workshop.